Thursday, November 15, 2007

How T.V over the last sixty years has tried to systematiclly tried to crush young peoples dreams

If you want your dreams to come true, don't sleep.
Yiddish proverb
When I think about the television shows I watched as a kid the ones that come to mind immediately are the sitcoms. Some that were already in syndication like the “Brady Bunch” and the“Partridge Family”. Also there was “Happy Days” and “Good Times”
And then there was “Maude”.
For the most part I found these shows entertaining. But like most other Americans as I became an adult I started looking for a scapegoat to blame all my failures and unrealized dreams on. And I think I found it.
On all of those shows and going all the way back to “Father Knows Best” and “Leave it to Beaver", when one of the characters wanted to try something new like on the “Brady Bunch” when Peter (or was it Bobby) wanted to play the drums. When it became apparent that the drums couldn’t be mastered in 30 minutes Mike and Carol hatched a plan to discourage Bobby (or Peter) from continuing to play.
Did they try to find him a music teacher? No. They just crushed his dreams. Because what brought him (them) joy annoyed them .And guess who wins that little war.
Not only did they crush his (their) dreams, but all of our as well.
Why even try?
This brings me to the stupidest phrase in the world “God given talent”.
Without arguing the existence of God, to state that a persons abilities are god given implies that a heavenly beam of light shown down on the individual and that person was instantly endowed with their skills.
This totally belittles all the hours of hard work and practice over the years with no promise of fame or fortune at the end. It also implies that God didn’t give us all the tools we need to pursue what ever we want.
What I would loved to hear is the next time a great athlete or talented musician is interviewed and asked why they are so good, they respond thusly : “Because god favors me over the rest of you and has given me a special gift the likes of which you will never know.”
Oh “and hi mom”.
VK

No comments: